a passport held over a leather bag ready to apply for non-o visa

Am I eligible for a NON-O Visa Thailand?

The Thai NON-O visa is a flexible visa that covers a range of circumstances. You may need a NON-O visa in the following instances:

  1. for retirement (aged 50 years or above) 
  2. to stay with the Thai family (spouse, children, adopted child)
  3. for foreign spouse or foreign child of someone living or working in Thailand (Young children also need a visa)
  4. to receive medical treatment (longer than 60days)
  5. to perform duties for the state enterprise or volunteer with social welfare organizations
  6. to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

    Foreign children that may be accompanying their parents who have moved to Thailand can also apply for an education visa if they are currently studying.

Remember that NON-O visas do NOT allow you to work and you will need to apply for a work permit as well if you wish to work in Thailand.

Applying for a NON-O visa in Thailand

Applying for a NON-O visa is relatively straight forward as long as you qualify and have the correct documents. NON-O Visas are valid for 90 days with extensions then available for those who qualify. Given that the time to process the NON-O Visa can take a few weeks we recommend applying at your local embassy before travelling to Thailand, however it is possible to apply for the Visa whilst in Thailand. To speed up the process, speak to us. Consultations are free and you are under no obligation to use our services.

The documents required for your NON-O Visa application differ slightly depending on the reason for the application. Here we will cover the most common visa applications and their requirements.

picture of thailand where you can get a non-o visa for retirement

Thai Child Dependent Visa (NON-O)

For parents that have a Thai Child through based in Thailand, you can apply for a NON-O Thai child dependent Visa. This visa is available if you have a Thai child or if the child is a step child from a current or previous relationship. You will require the following documents:

  • Valid passport
  • Completed Visa Application Form
  • Three passport-sized photos (size 2×2 inch) against a white background. We recommend wearing a shirt with a collar and you should not be smiling in the picture.
  • Photocopies of your entire passport and any other travel documents.
  • You must have no less than THB400,000 held in a Thai bank (with bank statement or letter from bank)
  • Your child’s original birth certificate, or the original and a copy of the legal adoption papers
  • A copy of your child’s house registration (tabien bahn)
  • Proof of relationship over a period of time (photos, contacts, emails)
  • Copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable)

Given the importance of this Visa and the complications that may surround the relationship, we recommend using a Visa Lawyer to make sure that the Visa is processed without any hassle.



Family Visa (Foreign Spouse/Child NON-O)

For foreigners who might be accompanying a spouse or parent to Thailand who is on a valid visa will need the following:

  • Two signed and completed Visa Application Forms dated at least 10 working days before the intended date of travel
  • Two recent photograph(s) (size 2×2 inch) against a white background wearing a collared shirt, with no smiling.
  • Valid Passport
  • Copy of ID other than passport
  • Copy of Permanent residence or copy of proof of address.
  • Proof of Relationship:

        * Copy of Marriage Certificate:

    Passport and ID of the Applicant’s spouse (signed by spouse)      

    Proof of employment of foreign spouse working in Thailand.

        * Copy of Birth Certificate: 

    Passport and Identity Card of the Applicant’s children

    Proof of employment of foreign spouse working in Thailand.  

    ** Document issued by Non-Thai authorities must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of those countries prior to submission)

    6. An original bank statement which with no less than 400,000 Baht or equivalent) for the last 3 months.

    7. A copy of flight ticket(s) (if from outside country)

a family resting on a rock at the beach after getting their non-o family visa in thailand

Thai Retirement Visa (NON-O)

For those wishing to retire in Thailand, you can apply for a Retirement Visa, which falls under the NON-O Visa category. To be eligible you must be over 50 on the date of submission, have no criminal record and have permanent residency in the country in which you apply. You must not have any prohibitive diseases such as Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase syphilis. Under this visa you are prohibited from working in Thailand.

Required documents for retirement visa are as follows:

  • Passport (min. 18 months validity)
  • 3 copies of completed application form
  • 3 passport-sized photos (4 x 6cm)
  • Personal data form
  • A bank statement demonstrating a deposit of at least 800,000 Baht, an income certificate (original copy) indicating a monthly income of no less than 65,000 Baht, or a combination of a deposit account and monthly income totaling at least 800,000 Baht.
  • A letter stating no criminal record from home country (valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).
  • A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).
  • In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for  the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa.  A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.
a retired man kissing a woman on the forehead after getting a non-o visa thailand

Thai Retirement Visa (NON-O-X)

The Non-Immigrant Visa – Retirement (O-X) is designed for individuals aged 50 and above who seek to reside long-term in Thailand without engaging in employment. This visa effectively grants two five-year periods of stay and is exclusively available to passport holders from the following countries: Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States.

To qualify, applicants must fulfill the following financial criteria:

  • Maintain a minimum of THB 3 million in a Thai savings or fixed deposit account, OR
  • Hold at least THB 1.8 million in a Thai savings or fixed deposit account along with an annual income of THB 1.2 million or more.

Additionally, visa holders must maintain a balance of at least THB 1.5 million throughout the visa’s duration. The requirements for extending the Thai Non-Immigrant O Visa remain unchanged.

    Thai Non-O Visa (Voluntary Work)

    Many people think that volunteer work can be done on a tourist visa. This is not the case but you can work with a NON-O Visa specified for voluntary work. You will need the documents below:

        • A signed Letter of Invitation from an “authorized person”
        • Copy of the passport or Thai ID card of the authorised person.
        • A copy of the Charity, Association or NGO’s registration
        • Proof that you have the financial means to support yourself. You will not be allowed to do paid work.

    Why use OneTheVisa for your Thai visa application?

    While you can apply for any Thai Visa without a visa agent, the complexity of how the system works can result in delays or even rejected applications. The process can at times be frustrating. We recommend using a Visa agent, but if you do decide to apply for visas by yourself, please consult us free. We have no obligations to use our service but are happy to help you with your application.